Director, Product Design
Company Overview and Culture
Our culture is a team-first mentality built on the Core Values of Customer Love, Growth, Ownership, Authenticity, and One Team which is shared by every single employee. For us at GRIN, this means we prioritize our customers when making decisions; grow as individuals personally and professionally which drives business growth; celebrate our wins, own our failures, learn from our mistakes, and expect everyone to do the right thing; bring our whole selves to work each day; and know that we can accomplish more when we work together with humility.
At GRIN, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our product and our community. We champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity to join our team dedicated to bringing people together across the globe. GRIN is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, or other lived experience. GRIN was founded in Sacramento, CA and is committed to 100% remote work. Our Core Business Hours are 9am-3pm PST, so we expect all of our employees to work at least during those hours and are flexible on the rest of your hours.
[[GRIN is able to hire in all US states except Hawaii, unless the job is noted as Canada Only]]
GRIN is seeking a Director of Product Design to be a creative leader who looks to collaborate inclusively throughout the design process and evolve the way GRIN operates. As a head of the design teams, reporting to VP of Product, you’ll inspire and guide multiple teams simultaneously, building new and optimizing existing solutions, with in-depth knowledge about the latest design trends and technologies.
You will lead the next generation of User Experience at GRIN as we scale our product and our teams. You dare to simplify, thrive in a fast paced environment, and excel at getting complex cross functional initiatives over the finish line.
You will help maintain the GRIN culture while impacting the trajectory of an ambitious tech startup. We are a fast-paced, fun organization going through rapid growth and solving technical challenges at an exponential scale.
What You'll Do:
- Drive and lead the vision for our User Experience in product.
- Provide thought leadership to develop the right design strategy, and use UX methodologies to bring value to the user and the business.
- Hire and manage highly talented product designers through ambiguity, change, and growth.
- Co-develop the product strategy with product leadership through identifying opportunities to invest in for long term growth and innovation.
- Partner closely with product leadership, engineers, content designers, data analysts to deliver high quality experiences for GRIN customers and users.
- Establish operational rigor for design: using principles, frameworks, qualitative and quantitative insights to guide your team for continuous growth of the function and the product.
- Act as an internal champion and leader for design and UX
What You'll Bring:
- 10+ years of experience as a designer working on B2B or SaaS products.
- 5+ years managing one or more product design teams.
- Experience working with an engineering team following scaled agile and/or scrum methodology.
- You are employee centric and love mentoring designers to help unlock their full potential.
- Experience incorporating product design in agile product development
- Expert knowledge of design tools such as Figma, Dovetail, Maze, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, and other prototyping tools
- Demonstrated experience designing consumer-facing apps/websites and complex user flows across app and web
- A strong ability in visual storytelling, and an innate curiosity about people and their relationship to entertainment.
- Expert understanding of user-centered design principles and best practices
- Demonstrated strong eye for executional craft with an obsession of design details with knowing how to make trade offs to get in market to learn
- Demonstrated ability of operational rigor to improve the culture of the team and cross functional partnerships.
- A demonstrated portfolio of you/your team working cross-functionally, thinking strategically across the experience and shipping successful experiences in a fast-paced environment.
We recognize the imposter syndrome might show its head as you read through this job description and although you might not check every box, we don’t want to miss out on the possibility of speaking with a perfectly imperfect candidate. So if you think you have what it takes - apply today and let’s discuss!
US Total Rewards
- 16 days of PTO + 10 Sick Days + 14 paid holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) program plus match
- Paid Child Bonding Leave
- Home Office set up + Co-Working Space Reimbursement
- Employee Stock Option Program
- GRIN SWAG
- Tons of growth opportunity
Something looks off?